The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, which litigates against deceptive advertising in marketed products, established a shopper heart to help stories of false well being claims in product promoting for dietary supplements. In 2017, the FTC successfully sued 9 producers for misleading advertising of dietary supplements. The European Commission has revealed harmonized guidelines on supplement products to guarantee customers have minimal well being risks from using dietary supplements and aren’t misled by promoting. Iron supplementation can decrease the risk of iron deficiency anemia for pregnant ladies. In 2020, the World Health Organization updated suggestions for sufficient calcium ranges during pregnancy to forestall hypertensive issues.
- For pregnant women, supplementing with folic acid helps lower the chance of certain delivery defects, including spina bifida.
- As with any substance you’re putting in or in your physique, supplements include an opportunity of an unintended unfavorable response — like an allergic reaction, side effects, or interactions with drugs you’re taking.
- Talk along with your health care team about any supplements you’re taking or are excited about taking.
- This is particularly essential for older men, who are generally more prone to falls.
- All dietary supplement producers, distributors, and packagers should follow Good Manufacturing Practices for dietary supplements